Always summer, never warm.
This is the mantra painted in the Coast Guard's
Polar Sea Icebreaker. While enjoying warm summers up north I've chosen a second chilly summer in McMurdo Station, Antarctica.

Saturday, November 10, 2007

the second coffee shift

On only my second shift at the Coffee House, Ann Curry, and her producer, Matt, came in and I made a few coffee beverages for them. It was fun to spend some time behind the bar listening to people talk with her and snag the photo. Some were interested in knowing more about her. Others were so nervous they forgot what to say. Most were engaged in her upbeat casual conversation, and curious what she meant when she described herself as "crunchy" (this is an earthy, granola-eating, simple living-type person from Ashland, Oregon).

I think beyond the celebrity and her bright personality, she is a connection with "back home." I know a lot of people here wanted to be on TV, but at the root of it, I heard a lot of people say, "I don't really care about being on television, and I don't really want to be outside in the cold waiting for a live shot that I probably won't be on, but I know my family and friends want to see me or know I made the effort to be there." It's knowing that people back home may recognize the same person who we see right in front of us. It's comforting.

I was so impressed with her happy persona that I told her that as she closed down the Coffee House. She made time for everyone with a smile on her face. And that encouraged me to make extra time to keep the Coffee House open that morning. She made her best effort to live within our community and not above it; and was successful, too. She found the science she came to report on and was passionate about communicating back to North America, and she had a great time (albeit, cold time) in a beautiful place this adventure trip.

No comments: