Always summer, never warm.
This is the mantra painted in the Coast Guard's
Polar Sea Icebreaker. While enjoying warm summers up north I've chosen a second chilly summer in McMurdo Station, Antarctica.

Sunday, December 9, 2007

finding time

I have always been the person who needs to have a little time by myself. Never have I realized it so much as in Antarctica where I get out of bed with at least 10 other people roaming the halls and bathrooms, where my space in my room is no bigger than most walk-in-closets, where I have three roommates (literally in one single room), where I eat with 100 other people, or more every meal, and where personal space is limited. It takes a little bit more effort to have alone time here, and now that I'm settled into the McMurdo lifestyle, I am finding my avenues of escape.

I have a friend who found a large room for me to finish my Christmas cards in; alone. I took a walk around Ob Hill (pictured left) to enjoy the quiet and negotiate the unusual rocks that change in shape, color, size and texture as I circumvent the peak. I took a walk out to Hut Point. Sometimes I find the Chapel is quiet. Sometimes, it's just stopping to look at the mountains, or enjoy the "warmer" weather. Sometimes, I have to be alone in the crowd; allowing the buzz of conversation and passing of people carry on outside of my internal peace. Somehow I have found enough of that quiet time to crochet a few scarves, mail off my Christmas cards and put on a pretty good showing at the arts and crafts fair yesterday where I sold some note cards.

Speaking of the art fair, I continue to be surprised by all the talents people have down here that show up at the craft fair; painters, photographers, knitters, jewelry-makers, videographers, and the list goes on and on. This even is one of the nicest bizarres I have ever been to: hats, posters, cards, necklaces, ornaments; nearly all made in Antarctica by the artist at the table!

No comments: