Always summer, never warm.
This is the mantra painted in the Coast Guard's
Polar Sea Icebreaker. While enjoying warm summers up north I've chosen a second chilly summer in McMurdo Station, Antarctica.

Saturday, March 15, 2008

the hunt for the koala

I cannot tell you how often we looked in the trees for koala bears; well, I seemed to be scouting the dark forests of eucalyptus while Storey drove. We determined that it's a myth for tourists. On our last full day in Australia, we visited the Daisy Hill Koala Park. We saw one koala and it was in the visitors' centre. We took a walk through the park and didn't see one sleepy bear the entire time!

So, we came up with a theory that the one koala they have and the few others that hang out in the zoos and wildlife centers are actually wombats with plastic surgery. They put the wombat in a tree at the visitor's centre so that there is hope of seeing one in the 'wild' and then market part of their Australian tourism campaign around this mythical creature. That's what we came up with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just a friendly correction as I was told by my Australian friend, Brenda, many years ago......a koala is not a bear. It is actually a marsupial, in the same famiy as kangaroos, because it has a pouch. They certainly look like bears, though. I didn't see any in the trees when I was in Australia, but I wasn't really looking for them. I did see a few in a zoo near Sydney.