Always summer, never warm.
This is the mantra painted in the Coast Guard's
Polar Sea Icebreaker. While enjoying warm summers up north I've chosen a second chilly summer in McMurdo Station, Antarctica.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

low visibility

We have had a lot of stormy weather this year. There have been a good number of low-visibility days where we can’t see more than 10 miles across the sea. Tonight, I wandered down to the Chapel to look at the mountains and I realized that I often expect to see evidence of God like I expect to see the mountains off in the distance down here. Sometimes I can’t see them at all and at other times they are only partially exposed and I can’t see how grand they truly stand. But, I know they are there and when the conditions are right, I witness one of the most spectacular views in all Creation!

There is beauty in the clouds, too. Having faith in something means that you believe it even when you can’t see it. It’s knowing that something is there; but just out of sight. Even when I have low visibility on life, I know God is still charting my course and directing my steps. It just takes more faith on my part to see myself to the next clear day.

No comments: