Always summer, never warm.
This is the mantra painted in the Coast Guard's
Polar Sea Icebreaker. While enjoying warm summers up north I've chosen a second chilly summer in McMurdo Station, Antarctica.

Thursday, November 22, 2007

thanks and giving

My Thanksgiving day is over according to our U.S. calendars, but our station officially celebrates the holiday on Saturday. This year, among the big needs that were met this year, I'm also thankful for some little things that mean big things to me right now. So, little and big, here's my alphabetized list of thanksgiving:
. Antarctica. God's Creation surrounds me in a very visually significant way here.
. Birthdays. Tia and Lucas in Antarctica, as well as, some friends back in the States, too!
. Coffee.
. Dinner. The anticipation of this event has everyone curiously looking forward to the Saturday spread.
. ECW Gear. It's warm (see W).
. Family and friends. I have been blessed.
. Genevieve. A beautiful woman and wonderful friend.
. Hope.
. Ice. Even though it's cold, it's also intricate and unique.
. Joy. Smiles. Making much out of limited resources.
. Kids. Other people's.
. Light. Lots of sun, and the decorative lanterns hanging over my bed.
. Michael and J. Deployed from Christchurch in time for the holiday in McMurdo.
. No holiday shopping. Don't miss it. Don't want it.
. Odd people. Keeps life interesting!
. Passengers. The reason I have a job down here this year.
. Quiet. There are times down here when the world is so quiet. It's like nothing you've ever known before!
. Rest.
. Space. And a friend to let me in a quiet building to get away.
. Travel opportunities including the three continents I have yet to visit. What's next: Asia? Europe? South America?
. Underwear. Long underwear!
. Vacation. What I'll be doing after I leave here.
. Warmth. Heat. My new Mom-made and oh-so-soft blue bathrobe.
. X-treme. Going out of the ordinary to do something important.
. Yonder. There is a lot of it around here.
. ZCM. The air field designator code for McMurdo Station, Antarctica.

No comments: