Always summer, never warm.
This is the mantra painted in the Coast Guard's
Polar Sea Icebreaker. While enjoying warm summers up north I've chosen a second chilly summer in McMurdo Station, Antarctica.

Friday, November 23, 2007

a tia birthday

This evening Tia had a birthday party. I, of course, participated during my morning hours, but had a great time with friends and dinner anyway. The food was spectacular. A small group of us got together for a family-style meal in Hut 10. This building is the only place we can reserve on station that functions like a normal house (rather than dorms). Tia's spread was amazing with rice noodles, peanut sauce, some amazing chicken, shrimp on a stick and a green salad with phenomenal chocolate truffles for dessert; all homemade!

Tia is the first Antarctic person I had contact with last year, besides Laura; even before I made it to Denver for orientation. She and I were both shuttle drivers and we both flew out of O'Hare to start our icy adventures. Our supervisor put us in touch with each other and shortly after our orientation began in Denver, we found each other. I love our differences and that we have such a great relationships because of them and in spite of them! Tia is a colorful person (if you can't tell by the eclectic picture of her wearing many of her birthday presents. She is an artist. She makes phenomenally creative jewelry using her own paper and fills up each day with her personality! When I leave The Ice, not only her earrings go home with me, but also a little slice of her smile.

No comments: